Monday, January 25, 2010

An Unexpected Surprise!


Well, I got an unexpected surprise Saturday evening.

It is actually unfortunate but I was pretty stoked!

Last Saturday we had an outbreak of the flu at our church.

Not the swine flu just an icky flu.

My poor mother was one of many people who got it.

By Monday when I arrived at school, as the church and the school are in the same building, there were 28 people that they knew of that had it.

Well, it didn't stop with just the church people all of a sudden the school kids were getting it.

So Saturday evening I was told that the school was closing down for a week until they felt like everything was safe.

One week off with pay!

Wow, I don't think that has ever happened in the history of the school.

All that to say, today instead of going to school I went thrifting.

I didn't pick up a lot but here are a few things.

I picked up this sweet little basket at my first stop.


Next, I found a large bag of glass door knobs, old and new.


Along with the door knobs came these spare parts.

I don't know what I'll do with them but you know how it is!


String, I don't know what it is about it but I like it!


Along with this string came a bunch of new packages of jute.

I found this old lamp minus the lamp shade and a few crystals.

I seem to end up with a lot of lamp shades so I'm always glad to find lamps to go with them.


Maybe this one!


Here are 5 of 13 old music books I found.

I thought these were pretty cool!



Thank you for stopping by and seeing what I've been up to!

12 comments:

Secondhandrose said...

A week off ! I hope you don't catch it. I really like the crystal lamp. Come for a visit. I'm having a giveaway.

karen

Anonymous said...

I live in an old home in south texas that was built in the 1940's and still has the original floors, doors, and doorknobs (JUST LIKE THE ONES YOU FOUND!). What a wonderful way to spend the day! ~Jessica

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Oh what fun! I want to go thrifting with you. You picked up such great treasures. I bought a big bucket of door knobs this weekend too:) I am keeping some and selling the rest. Have fun with your new finds.
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hey Debbie, great stuff! I love that little basket.
Glad you got a week off with pay.
Hope you don't get the bug. Ick!

Sissie

Anonymous said...

You're a lucky girl! Once I was on unemployment for 4 months - I always say it was the best 4 months of my life :0) Getting paid while you go junking - priceless.
See you this weekend?
Sue

Florence said...

Enjoy your week off and finding some new treasures. Stay well. Florence

Kindred Roses said...

Lucky You!!!!
Wish I was junkin with you.
See you soon
Julie, Kindred Roses

Bartlett Family said...

Debbie,
Thanks for reading my blog. The cabinet was a fun project. I'm glad you liked it. I love those old glass knobs! Take care.

Dave

stefanie said...

How fun!!!!

brenda sue said...

hey Deb... I'm sorry for all of the sick kiddos,:( But I am so happy that you get a week off (and with pay!!!) Have a wonderful week. You found some cute treasures!

Jocelyn said...

Wow a week off with pay! Love your great finds. The glass knobs are the tops!
Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mother being one of the many who got the flu but good for you...a week off with pay and, you went shopping and found some great finds. Good for YOU!!!!!

Enjoy,
Donna